Location: North East
The Newcastle University Electrical Power Research Group has an established record of academic excellence and innovative, multi-disciplinary, industrially-collaborative electrification research, focusing on the development of high-efficiency, power-dense electrical machines, drives and power converters. Research strengths include wide bandgap semiconductor devices, switch control techniques, converter topologies, advanced thermal management, electromagnetics, advanced electric drives and control, design and prototyping of electrical machines, and energy storage and distribution from transmission to end use.
- Electrical Power Research Laboratory – extensive state-of-the-art test facilities
- Battery, Power Systems, and Smart Grid Laboratories
- Cleanrooms – Class 100 for fabrication of custom (SiC) power devices and modules
- Future Electrical Machines Manufacturing Workshop
- Design Unit – mechanical power transmission specialists, delivering innovative design, development and research consultancy