Location: South West
The National Composites Centre (NCC) is the UK’s centre of excellence for the development and application of composite materials. The NCC specialises in identifying and solving challenging problems through the application of advanced design and simulation tools, expert knowledge of all kinds of composite materials and world leading manufacturing facilities.
When it comes to electrification, the NCC can provide solutions far beyond light-weighting of components and systems. In addition, the NCC can help to develop solutions that benefit from the unique and tailorable properties of composite materials, from customisable electromagnetic properties to extreme temperature resistance or the ability to withstand the harshest of corrosive environments.
Key strengths and unique capabilities
- Multi-material design and optimisation
- Expertise in a wide range of matrix and reinforcement materials
- Tensioned fibre winding for casings and encapsulation
- Long and short discontinuous fibre moulding
- Life cycle analysis for composite materials and products.
The NCC’s Composites Roadmap plots a course to the key applications of composites that will empower the energy transition. The NCC are driving towards next generation 20+MW floating wind turbines, highly modular and lower impact subsea infrastructure and non-corrosive pipe networks to connect production to demand.
- Open-access technology testbed for advanced composites
- Two-ring braider
- Automated fibre placement
- Overmoulding technology
- Automated preforming cell
- Ultra-high rate deposition cell
- Ceramic Matrix Composite (CMC) development facility
- High temperature resin transfer moulding
- Composite integrity verification cell.