Newcastle University has adopted the model publication scheme that has been prepared and approved by the Information Commissioner.
This publication scheme commits the University to make information available to the public as part of our normal business activities. The information covered is included in the classes of information mentioned below, where this information is held by the University. You can find more guidance on the definition of these classes in sector specific guidance manuals issued by the Information Commissioner’s Office on their website.
The University will:
- publish information, including environmental information, which is held by us within the classifications below
- specify the information which is held by us and falls within the classifications below
- publish information in line with the statements contained within this scheme
- produce and publish the methods by which the information is made available so that it can be easily identified and accessed by members of the public
- review and update on a regular basis the information we make available under this scheme
- produce a schedule of any fees charged for access to information which is made available
- make this publication scheme available to the public
- publish any dataset held by us that has been requested, and any updated versions we hold, unless we are satisfied that it is not appropriate to do so; publish the dataset, where reasonably practicable, in an electronic form that is capable of re-use; and, if any information in the dataset is a relevant copyright work and we are the only owner, make the information available for re-use under a specified licence. The term ‘dataset’ is defined in section 11(5) of the Freedom of Information Act. The terms ‘relevant copyright work’ and ‘specified licence’ are defined in section 19(8) of that Act
Classes of information
Who we are and what we do
Organisational information, locations and contacts, constitutional and legal governance.
What we spend and how we spend it
Financial information relating to projected and actual income and expenditure, tendering, procurement and contracts.
What our priorities are and how we are doing
Strategy and performance information, plans, assessments, inspections and reviews.
How we make decisions
Policy proposals and decisions. Decision making processes, internal criteria and procedures, consultations.
Our policies and procedures
Current written protocols for delivering our functions and responsibilities.
Lists and registers
Information held in registers required by law and other lists and registers relating to the functions of the University.
The services we offer
Advice and guidance, booklets and leaflets, transactions and media releases. A description of the services offered.
The classes of information will not generally include:
- information where disclosure is prevented by law, or exempt under the Freedom of Information Act, or is otherwise protected from disclosure
- information in draft form
- information that is no longer readily available as it is contained in files that have been placed in archive storage, or is difficult to access for similar reasons